Monday, December 26, 2011

First Box of CSA

I received my first CSA box from Farm Fresh to You on Wednesday. After reading a ton of bad reviews on Yelp, and other sites, I was pleasantly surprised by the quality of the vegetables in the box. As soon as I get my new camera I'll be able to include some pics. For now here is what was in the box:

1.5 lbs small yellow potatoes
1 lb baby bok choy
1 bunch carrots (the sweetest carrots I have ever eaten)
1 bunch collard greens
1 bunch spinach
1 spaghetti squash
1 bunch green leaf lettuce
1 pound yellow onions
2 large leeks

Now that Christmas is over, and I understand the CSA routine, I will be able to prepare menus and recipes for what is coming in the box. For this week though I just threw the veggies into different combinations for the meals I made. For example one night I cut the potatos into quarters, mixed them together with the broccoli, some garlic, salt, and pepper and rosted them in the oven on high heat. I then sauted some onions, leeks, and garlic, added 1 box of veggie broth, some pasta and the roasted vegetables and let simmer. When the pasta was done so was the soup. I finished it off with some garlic olive oil and parmeasan cheese. It was yummy and so healthy. For the rest of the week I used the veggies in a smilar fashion just adding them to whatever I could. We easily went through the entire box in a week, when I was hoping it would last us two weeks. My next veggie box does not come until the 4th which is a long time to wait for veggies. I may need to tweak my order. This Wednesday I will receive a fruit box, I'll let you know how we do with that.

Until next time,
Lelia

No comments:

Post a Comment