Sunday, October 17, 2010

Chocolate Cherry Cookies

Welcome to my first blog post on Sweet Eats. I have had many people tell me that they wished there was a central location where they could get my recipes and correspond regularly with me. So I'm starting this blog as a way to keep in touch. You can follow me on twitter too if you wish. I'll actually be doing recipes and information for sweet and savory dishes on this blog. I cook everything from scratch including a full week's worth of dinner menus. I hope to be able to share with you each night's menu, as well as some sweet treats on the weekend.

I know how difficult it may seem to cook from scratch every night, especially for full-time Mom's who work outside the home (of which I am one). However, we've all heard how much healthier it is for our families to limit processed food and I am a firm believer in this truth. It may not be easy but if you follow a few simple rules it isn't too difficult and I'm happy to help with the tips and tricks I've found to be useful. If ever you have questions or I can help in anyway, feel free to email me directly at leliamarshall4040@sbcglobal.net or follow me on Twitter.

The bulk of my planning happens on Sunday. During the week I watch shows like Aarti Paarti and Chopped on Food Network. I have subscriptions to Cooking Light and Food and Wine, these give me ideas. On Sunday morning I make a list of my menus for the week. For example, this week we are having:

Cream of Mushroom Soup with light green salad and crusty bread
Waldorf Salad
Turkey Tacos
Baked Potato and Broccoli
Green Chili with Turkey

I write down all the ingredients I will need. Then I'm off to the Farmer's Market. It's the best place to get all your produce. It's cheaper, it's fresher and it contributes so much to our local growers. Please check out your local farmer's market, you will be so pleased that you did.

I usually try and be flexible about what I fix each night. If my son has something going on like a school program or choir practice, I try and fix the easier things on those nights. My husband is a vegetarian so I usually make meat items on Thursday and Friday evenings when he works during the dinner hour. Also, Saturday nights are ALWAYS left over nights, so I can clean the refrigerator out before my big shopping on Sunday. Every once in awhile I hear from Mom's who say, "my family won't eat left overs"! PEESHAW! Everyone eats leftovers in my house once a week, like it or not, sometimes the best flavors come from things that have been allowed to sit and let the flavors meld.

After the farmer's market I do the rest of my shopping at Trader Joe's. I could be a walking advertisement or Trader Joe, (I wonder how much that pays??). They now have a huge selection of organic foods from meat to veggies and if you can't find it at the Farmer's market I would absolutely recommend Trader Joe's organic foods.

Today is Sunday so I usually make a sweet treat to have during the week. This week's treat is Chocolate Cherry Cookies. They are made completely from scratch with all natural ingredients. That certainly doesn't mean we can indulge until we feel sick, but I am a firm believer of everything in moderation. So a cookie or two with milk, or a lovely cup of tea (Trader Joe's holiday vanilla and cinnamon tea is heavenly!) at night is fine. I should also say that I am not opposed to the once a week splurge on take out food. Mind you I'm not talking about "fast food" I'm talking about "take out" food. Something that you have checked out and find acceptable with regards to fat and calories.

In August my daughter left LA to go to Nashville for college. She is a huge chocolate lover and asks me frequently to send her ANYTHING chocolate. So I made these chocolate cherry cookies and I know she will love them. The dried tart cherries really break up the rich sweetness of the chocolate in these cookies and the cinnamon adds a great depth of flavor. They are chewy and yummy and will be gone before you know it!

I next have to work on getting my camera to take pictures of my food. I tried to use the camera in my phone earlier, but didn't have much luck. The chocolate cherry cookie recipe is below, please let me know if you have any questions or comments. Dinner tonight is the Waldorf salad and I'll post the recipe tonight or tomorrow morning. Have a great week all, and SWEET EATS!

1 cup all-purpose floor
2 1/2 tblsps unsweetened dutch process cocoa powder
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt
(2) 3.5 oz bittersweet chocolate bars
1 stick unsalted butter
1/2  cup white sugar
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
2 large eggs
2 cups dried tart Montmorency Cherries (Trader Joe's sells these)

Preheat oven to 350. Break up the chocolate bars and place in microwave safe bowl along with the butter. Heat on high for 40 seconds then remove and stir. Repeat until chocolate is completely melted 2 or 3 times. Set chocolate aside to cool. While chocolate is cooling, mix dry ingredients together in separate bowl. When chocolate has cooled for 15 or 20 minutes add sugars and eggs, whisking until batter is smooth. Then add dry ingredients to chocolate until just combined, do not beat. Gently fold in cherries. Drop by rounded tablespoons onto baking sheets with parchment paper. Bake until edges are firm, but not darkened. It can be hard to tell with chocolate cookies when they are done just by looking at them, they should bake 9 to 11 minutes depending on your oven. Let cool on cookie sheet, then transfer to wire racks. Remember, do not over bake. Less is better than more with these cookies.
Let me know what you think! 

No comments:

Post a Comment