Monday, October 18, 2010

Waldorf Salad

Good Evening All,

I'm trying to introduce you slowly to the concept of making a fresh meal for your family every night of the week. This week I'm trying to get you used to the idea, but starting on Saturday, 10/23, morning I will post the next menu as well as a list of the ingredients you will need to make 6 fresh meals (don't forget left over night) as well as one sweet treat to last the week. Last night was Sunday and I know typically Sunday nights are when lots of Mom's go all out and make a big meal. It makes sense really, your not working and you have time to make a nicer meal. However, it never seems to work out that way for me. I'm so exhausted from trying to get 30 loads of wash done, do all the shopping and errands, and clean up the house, that I like an easier meal for Sunday and so usually it's some sort of entree salad. This week was no exception, we had a Chicken Waldorf Salad.

A classic Waldorf salad contains apples, raisins, grapes, celery and pecans in a mayo type dressing and is usually served on a bed of lettuce. But this salad is so versatile you can add or subtract lots of different ingredients and still have a wonderful salad. I added chicken to make it more of a meal and I replaced the raisins with dried cherries (this is because I had some left over from yesterday's chocolate cherry cookies and you can make your grocery budget go further if you remember to be resourceful). I also put some aside before I added the chicken so that my vegetarian husband could enjoy some and I added the pecans after I added the chicken because my son doesn't like nuts.

Before I post this delicious recipe I would like to say something about mayonnaise. It is not something I use frequently because of the fat and calories and while I don't believe in using any of the fat free, reduced calorie garbage that is out there, you can cut the fat in half by using olive oil mayo. Most fat free products use chemicals and sugar to get a taste similar to the real thing. Don't do it, in 90% of cases I would encourage you to use the real thing, but olive oil mayo is definitely a winner.

Waldorf Salad

3 apples diced-Granny Smith is always a good bet
1/2 pound red grapes (if large cut in half, if small keep whole)
1/4 c chopped pecans
1/2 c dried tart cherries
2 stalks celery chopped
4 to 5 ozs of diced cooked chicken breast-I use Trader Joe's "Just Chicken"
1 bag butter lettuce

Dressing
1/2 c olive oil mayo
1 tblsp white sugar
1 1/4 tsp lemon juice
1/8 tsp salt
1/8 tsp pepper

Toss together first 6 ingredients. Make dressing by mixing all dressing ingredients and make sure to taste. It shouldn't be too sweet. If necessary add additional lemon juice, it should have a sweet/tangy flavor. When you have the dressing to your liking pour over first six ingredients. Coat well with dressing. Arrange butter leaves on individual plates and top with salad mixture. Most kids will love this salad and come running back for more. This is an easy, quick, nutritious meal and especially good for a busy night. Let me know if you have any comments or suggestions. Until tomorrow night...SWEET EATS!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Lelia,
    I like the idea about Mayo alternatives... I sometimes cut down on the Mayo by mixing it with Plain Whole Milk Yogurt...this gives added benefits while bringing down fat... In a salad like this, the tangy-ness would probably work nicely too.
    Nice blog. -Julie

    ReplyDelete